Friday, November 12, 2010

Sherry Lynn's Gluten Free Resturant, Cafe and Specialty Store

     Ever since my brother was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, we have been on an eternal search for Gluten Free restaurants.  The Gluten Free Restaurant Guide by Triumph Dining is a great tool but finding it yourself is just as rewarding.  Ever since we found Sherry Lynn's Gluten Free Restaurant, bakery and cafe, our confidence in outsiders making safe and delicious gluten free food has been overwhelmed.  We are always looking for excuses to visit Sherry Lynn's!
     Sitting at a table, set in a Halloween decor just adding to its charm, I experienced something new.  There is some kind of camaraderie here, knowing that every other person there at the restaurant shares the same difficulties when eating out and can now enjoy a perfectly safe and enjoyable meal, because they are all Celiacs! 
     Now for me, being a deadly gluten eater (insert booing here), I get to enjoy sharing food all the time.  At a restaurant I can just slide my plate over for one of my other gluten eater friends to try, without a care in the world.  For Celiacs, and others with food allergies, that is a different story.  Remember when you were young and could not eat the ice cream cake for your friend's birthday?  Remember after that business meeting when all your friends were going out to get a drink and a bite to eat?  If you have food allergies, you know what I'm talking about.  This whole mentality changes in a gluten free restaurant.  You can literally pass your plate to someone else and not have to worry that they are going to use a contaminated fork or spread the gluten cream sauce sauce all over your GF steak.  In a gluten free restaurant you can actually have a plate passed to you, and you can try it!!  This was something that I could experience first hand and I could tell how much it meant to my brother.
     We started out our dining experience with warm fresh mozzarella sticks with red marinara sauce and French Toast Sticks with maple butter syrup.  Got to try a bit of everything especially since everything is Gluten Free!!  I have to apologize for the poor picture quality, these photos were taken with my phone.

 

     I have to say that I was greatly impressed with both appetizers.  The breading on the mozzarella was crispy and flavorful while still retaining its shape, which for something that is gluten free is surprising.  And that warm stringy cheese inside mmm...! The French Toast Sticks were fried and crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.  I have to say that Aunt Jemima's Butter Rich Syrup is just one of my vices, so to have it with the French Toast Sticks, there was no way I wouldn't like them!
     For the main course my brother ordered a Phillie Cheese Steak on a gluten free bun.  I ordered a Ham and Swiss Cheese Panini with mustard and our mom got the Turkey Panini with American Cheese.




     I have suddenly had a great palate revolution and now I crave foods that have mustard or even better, horseradish! So I was plenty happy with my Panini.  The bread seared well on the Panini press but was not like a rock and had good texture.  My brother greatly enjoyed his Philly Cheese Steak, especially since it was the first time he had ever had one.  In a past visit, I got one and I remember that the onions and steak were cooked perfectly together with two big slabs of American Cheese (my favorite, Craft Singles all the way! Just another of my vices.) all on two fluffy, flavorful GF buns.  Yum.  My Mom also enjoyed her Turkey Panini which was much like mine, except the mustard.
     Conclusion: Sherry Lynn's has good Gluten Free food that everyone enjoyed, including the gluten eaters!  For more information about Sherry Lynn's Gluten Free Restaurant, menus, directions and more, visit their website here.